Test Your Knowledge of Tuolumne County
Remember in school when you'd show up in a class and the teacher would say, "Put your books away and take your pencils out. It's a surprise quiz"? You loved those days, right? Well just to reminisce, I'm giving you a quiz today. This one's to test your knowledge of Tuolumne County. So here goes:
1. As a county in the Mother Lode, Tuolumne County is: (a) the second largest; (b) the third largest; (c) the largest; (d) tied for the largest.
2. When and where was gold first discovered in Tuolumne County? (a) in Sonora in 1850; (b) in Chinese Camp in 1849; (c) in Soulsbyville in 1852; (d) in Jamestown in 1848.
3. How much gold was yielded in dollars in Tuolumne County? (a) 600 million; (b) 1 billion; (c) 1.1 billion; (d) 100 million.
4. A "war" once broke out on a mountain near which Tuolumne County town? (a) Twain Harte; (b) Mi Wuk; (c) Sonora; (d) Chinese Camp.
5. The Tuolumne County town of Jamestown was founded by whom? (a) James in the Bible, a follower of Jesus; (b) the outlaw, Jesse James; (c) James Earl Jones; (d) Colonel George James, a San Francisco lawyer.
6. A gold mine runs directly below which Tuolumne County property? (a) Sugar Pine Realty in Jamestown; (b) the Willow Hotel in Jamestown; (c) the Mother Lode Fairgrounds in Sonora; (d) the Westside property in Tuolumne City.
7. Stealing a horse in the Tuolumne County city of Sonora in the middle 1800s could get a person what type of punishment? (a) a timeout; (b) no TV; (c) lashes and branding on the cheek; (d) go straight to bed after supper.
Answers: 1. (c) 2. (d) 3. (a) 4. (d) 5. (d) 6. (b) 7. (c)
(This test was developed and based on the Gold Rush Chronicles website
Labels: gold, gold mine, jamestown, mother lode, quiz, sonora, test, tuolumne county, twain harte