Test Your Knowledge of Calaveras County
Another quiz coming your way. This time, how much do you know about Calaveras County? Take the following quiz to find out...
1. Calaveras County, as a county in the Mother Lode, is thusly named due to what item that was discovered in abundance in the river:
(a) gold; (b) frankincense; (c) myrrh; (d) skulls.
2. The second biggest gold nugget in the world was discovered in Calaveras County. It weighed 160 lbs. and was found at:
(a) Angels Camp in 1848;
(b) San Andreas in 1848
(c) Carson Hill in 1854;
(d) Murphys in 1853.
3. Which authors made Calaveras County famous with their stories: "Jumping Frog of Calaveras" and "Outcasts of Poker Flat":
(a) Dr. Suess and Charles Schultz;
(b) C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkein;
(c) John Grisham and Michael Crichton;
(d) Mark Twain and Bret Harte.
4. Which hotel in Calaveras County has bullet holes in the doorway due to a past gun battle and it's known for guests like Mark Twain, Ulysses S. Grant and Black Bart?
(a) Avery Hotel;
(b) Murphys Hotel;
(c) Dorrington Hotel;
(d) Victoria Inn.
5. In one 17-week period in the Gold Rush era there was an average of one murder per week in which Calaveras County town?
(a) Mokelumne Hill;
(d) Angels Camp.
6. Hangings took place on this tree in front of the courthouse located in the following Calaveras County town:
(a) San Andreas;
(d) Mokelumne Hill.
7. This famous rich man's father owned the Sheep Ranch Mine in San Andreas. This mine also contributed to his family's fortune:
(a) Bill Gates;
(b) William Randolph Hearst;
(c) Donald Trump
(d) King Solomon.
Answers: 1. (d) 2. (d) 3. (d) 4. (b) 5. (a) 6. (a) 7. (b)
(This test was developed and based on the Gold Rush Chronicles website
Labels: angels camp, arnold, calaveras county, gold, gold mine, lake tulloch real estate, mother lode, quiz, real estate lake tulloch, test