Test Your Knowledge of Coulterville
Coming at you again with what is now quiz #8 in the Testing Your Knowledge of the Mother Lode series. Of the 8 Sugar Pine Realty offices that exist across the Mother Lode, the southernmost one is located in the town of Coulterville. Coulterville has a most interesting and intriguing history. Find out more about Coulterville with the following questions (answers below):
1. Coulterville sits at an elevation: (a) lower than Jamestown; (b) higher than Jamestown; (c) equal to Jamestown.
2. Coulterville would eventually be named after George W. Coulter who opened a store and hotel there in the early days of the California Gold Rush. Prior to being named Coulterville, the town was named: (a) Maxwellville; (b) Maxwell Bluff; (c) Maxwell Creek; (d) Maxwell Smart.
3. During the peak era of Coulterville’s history (c. 1870), what nationality made up one quarter of the town’s population of 4000? (a) Mexican; (b) Russian; (c) Chinese; (d) African.
4. In January 1862 much of California was affected by the following disaster which also wreaked havoc in Coulterville literally destroying numerous buildings: (a) earthquake; (b) tornado outbreak; (c) fire; (d) flooding.
5. Among the historical landmarks of Coulterville is the following hotel: (a) Hotel Charlotte
; (b) National Hotel
; (c) City and Fallon Hotel
; (d) Hotel Jeffrey
6. The amount of gold discovered near and about Coulterville during the California Gold Rush was approximately: (a) 100,000 ounces; (b) 1,000,000 ounces; (c) 100,000 lbs.; (d) 62,500 lbs.
7. Gold mining operations continued near and about Coulterville until: (a) the turn of the century (1900); (b) World War I; (c) World War II; (d) the Iraq War.
Answers: 1. (b) 2. (a) & (c) 3. (c) 4. (d) 5. (d) 6. (b) & (d) 7. (c)
(This test was developed and based on information from the following websites: Free Pages-Coulterville History
, Coulterville-Untraveled Road
, 2 Get Gold- Coultervile History
, California Gold History
and Mariposa County Wineries
Labels: coulterville, history, information, mariposa county, mother lode, quiz, test