Test Your Knowledge of Murphys
Coming at you again with another quiz. Of course, Sugar Pine Realty has an office to serve it's customers in Murphys in Calaveras County. But how much do you know of the history of that Mother Lode town? It's a "rich" history (no pun intended) just like for every town in the Mother Lode. (Actually, much gold was discovered in Murphys, too!) Find out how much you know about Murphys by trying to answer the following questions:
1. The town of Murphys was founded by and named after the following brothers (pick two): (a) John Murphy; (b) Eddie Murphy; (c) Daniel Murphy; (d) Audie Murphy
2. How much gold was mined in Murphys and the surrounding area in the middle 1800s? (a) $20,000; (b) $200,000; (c) $2,000,000; (d) $20,000,000.
3. The town of Murphys was destroyed by this type of disaster three times in its early history (1859, 1874 and 1893): (a) mosquitoes; (b) indians; (c) fire; (d) earthquakes.
4. One of the oldest continually operating hotels in the state of California is the Murphys Hotel. Some of the folks who have stayed there include: (a) John F. and Jacqueline Kennedy; (b) Ulysses S. Grant and Mark Twain; (c) Bret Harte and John Muir; (d) Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.
5. Among the many who were attracted to Murphys during the Gold Rush were the following (famous/infamous?) outlaws: (a) Frank
and Jesse James
; (b) Joaquin Murietta and Black Bart; (c) "Wild Bill" Hickok
and Billy the Kid
(d) Pretty Boy Floyd and the Dalton Gang.
6. The 2000 census had the town of Murphys at roughly 2000 in population. At the height of the Gold Rush era, the population of the town was approximately: (a) 3000; (b) 750; (c) 1500; (d) 1000.
7. A great celebration of heritage takes place each year in the town of Murphys. What heritage is highlighted? (a) Italian; (b) French; (c) Russian; (d) Irish
Answers: 1. (a) & (c) 2. (d) 3. (c) 4. (b) 5. (b) 6. (a) 7. (d)
(This test was developed and based on information from the following websites: Wikipedia entry for Murphys
and History of Murphys
Labels: angels camp, arnold, bear valley, big trees state park, calaveras county, groveland, history, information, mother lode, murphys, national park, quiz, test